Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kids A Craftin

4 Proud girls with their fantastic cushions.
I have been thinking about starting a kids craft group in the summer holidays, But I was not sure about how to go about it or if it would work, So I used these holidays as a trial.
I put it out there to friends on Facebook for the 1st week of the holidays and was so pleased with the response.
I limited it to 4 kids over 7 as I didn't want it to become overwhelming as I was prepared to have the kids without their parents staying and I still had my 2 kids.
I chose to start with no sew fleece cushions.
I had 3 10 year old girls come on the day and Ainsley joined in too.
I pre cut the large squares of their chosen fabric then gave them instructions on measuring and cutting,followed by tying many many knots.
All the girls did a fantastic job,I even had one of the mums join in and make a little one.
They were proud of their efforts and I have heard they have been using them with one of the girls making herself another one at home the following day.
Because the 1st one was so successful 2 of the girls came back this week and joined another girl to make PJ's.
They chose their fabric and I had it pre cut for them and bought some singlets to applique.
All 3 girls loved using the machine and picked it up quickly after we sewed some ruled lines for practice.
The girls really enjoyed designing their singlet  even ironing the pieces on before sewing them,
 each seam was sewn by the girls  and they were thrilled when the shorts came together, Marveling at each stage.

Proud Girls in their Awesome handmade PJ's

Georgia

Emily

Steph

No comments: